SEO is evolving and so should your SEO practices evolve. Working with SEO practices is a 24×7 job. A blog should follow the current SEO strategies.
Keeping this in mind, I give you the top 40 blog SEO tips. Go through them; you may learn something new. If nothing else, use it as a revision checklist.
Since the list is long, I divided it into two parts.
Blog SEO Tips: Part 1
1) You should focus on organic growth, that is, search traffic. If your blog gets high percentage of organic traffic, it is an indicator of good SEO practice.
2) Your blog content should be written for the user and not the search engines. Check out the SEO growth graph and Google penalties in 2013, the trend moves towards a strong validation of user intent.
3) SEO is needed to help search engine find and index your content. A blog without SEO cannot experience organic growth. Excessive SEO is bad but follow basic SEO practices, especially the on-page SEO factors.
4) Find out who they are and compete with your competitors. SEO tools like LongTailPro and Moz are recommended software. Your blog needs to have a direction and believe me, following the competition helps a lot.
5) There can never be a fixed SEO plan. What works for my blog will not work with yours. Find out those SEO practices which works the best for your blog and it can happen only with trial and error. Don’t fall for SEO blueprints; there are none.
On-Site Blog SEO Tips
6) The post title should be the H1 tag. Don’t add the H1 tag within the content as a sub-head.
7) It is good to optimize the post URL structure for the benefit of the user and the search engines. Look at the title of this post. It is optimized.
8) Focus on a keyword, specifically the long tail keywords. These are not the times for short two or three worded key phrases. After the Google Hummingbird update, it is imperative to concentrate on long tail keywords.
9) It is a good blog SEO practice to mention the keyword in the post title. Of course, don’t compromise the relevancy of the post title just to fit in a keyword. The title should always be relevant to the post content.
10) Break the post into various sub-headings. The sub-headings should have the keyword, of course, depending on relevance. Use the H2 and H3 tags in sub-headings.
11) If you’re using WordPress, I recommend you to either install the All in One SEO Pack or the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin. These are an absolute must-have for any blog. Both are equally desired and beneficial; use either one of them.
12) Never forget to include a call-to-action (CTA) at the end of each post. It is an intrinsic factor to boost blog conversion.
13) The blog post Meta description should be concise enough to encapsulate the purpose of a certain page. Include the target keyword but make the content reader-friendly.
14) It is important to include social share buttons with each post because social signals play an important role in the blog’s SEO. Here is our detailed post on improving social signals.
To know more in detail, check out the Google guidelines page describing some basic SEO considerations.
15) Every post should have an appropriate image. While uploading, don’t forget to add the ‘alt’ tag.
16) Post-2010, there is a difference with which sidebars are utilized. While most of the WordPress themes come with custom widgets to stylize the sidebar, it is good to avoid building a blogroll. A blogroll is a list of sites you recommend. Avoid it as site-wide outbound links can reduce rankings.
17) When you publish a new post, interlink it with older posts. It passes link juice and gives better search ranking. On-site, it helps to keep the reader engaged.
18) While free domains are attractive, if you’re serious about your blog, get your own domain. GoDaddy is a recommended registrar.
19) Unless it comes naturally within a blog post, avoid keyword anchor texts for outbound linking. Once your blog becomes popular, you’ll be flooded with guest blogging offers, seeking a keyword anchor link back to their site. Avoid this.
20) It is essential to maintain clear and concise blog architecture. Use Google XML sitemap plugin for this. It helps the search engine robots to crawl and index the blog.
These were the first 20 blog SEO tips. I hope they were helpful.
Check out our previous post on social media here
If you have any questions, share them in the comments.